Bethany Discussion Forums

Welcome to the Bethany Forums - a place for birthfamilies, adoptive families, foster families, adoptees, and more. Views presented here may not represent Bethany's views.

Injera - help!

Moderator: Jilly

Postby tporters » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:13 pm

Hi Everyone,
I haven't been on here in ages, but I know somebody's gotta know how to make injera from scratch on here. I was diagnosed with Celiac disease and can't eat a crumb of wheat flour (and many others) but I can eat teff flour.

So here I am pouring my 3-day-old batter into a frying pan and basically burning every attempt. The edges curl up but the top doesn't turn into a bunch of bubbles like I expected. It's just getting brown and slopey and dried out, but when I try to flip it, the whole thing falls apart and is ooey-gooey on the bottom. Bleck!

Please help! Maybe I let the batter go too long? I rubbed some olive oil on the pan with a paper towel, and am trying to make it thin (not as thin as a crepe), and cooking it for 3-4 minutes on med. (and now med. -simmer).

Also, the batter had a "coat" on it, like chocolate pudding you make from scratch - is this normal?
Eek! I need help! :roll: :oops:
Sandy
DH Tom
DSs David, Mark, Ben
DD Lori
COP referral 4/17/06 for DD Rachel Jian (4/23/2004), Guangdong Province; united on 8/21/06!
www.porteradoption.com
tporters

Postby JessR » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:17 pm

When we were in Ethiopia, Birtukan was telling us how difficult it is to make injera in the U.S. She said it's because the water is more pure, and therefore it doesn't bubble and rise like it should. Apparently many people use self-rising flour along with the teff when making it in the U.S. That doesn't help you though, does it? I wonder if there's anything else that could be added to make it work... there might be some ideas online?

Good luck!
~Jess
JessR

Postby Jilly » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:19 pm

You don't flip injera - you just cook it on one side.

Also - I really think it is impossible to make in the US. ;) Even Ethiopians that live here, say it is impossible. Different altitude, different quality of teff, and different water. Birtukan from MCGH said the best chance you have (which is still slim to none) to being successful at making it, is using self-rising flour. Teff makes for horrible injera in the US, unfortunately.

Try using different heats. Also, a cast iron skillet might work better?? Also work with different recipes - some call for club soda, I've heard more people are quazi-successful with that one.

Otherwise, I'd go to an Ethiopian restaurant and stock up!!!
(MommyOf3ToBe)
Image Image Image
Jilly

Postby tporters » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:22 pm

Thanks Ladies! I did read one site that said to use quick rising yeast (gluten free) in the first batch and then save a small amount of the batter to use in each successive batter. I guess I need to do that. :roll: Oh, and I know I don't want to flip it, I should have said "pick it up with the spatula" to put it on a plate. Sorry!

If anyone has done this successfully, please let me know! TIA!!!
Sandy
DH Tom
DSs David, Mark, Ben
DD Lori
COP referral 4/17/06 for DD Rachel Jian (4/23/2004), Guangdong Province; united on 8/21/06!
www.porteradoption.com
tporters

Postby orangestacks » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:29 pm

I may have posted this before... the Ethiopians in the community we live(ed) in advised us to buy a lefse maker. They do sell electric injera makers, but they are much more expensive and the same thing (according to them). They said it is extremely difficult to make in a pan and use this instead. They sell them at Target http://www.target.com/Silverstone-Heritage-Lefse-Grill/dp/B00029OQ7W/ref=br_1_14?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&qid=1279145917&searchView=grid5&sr=1-14&node=1041760&searchRank=pmrank&searchPage=1&rh=&searchSize=30&id=Silverstone%20Heritage%20Lefse%20Grill&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin If you search you may find it cheaper somewhere else. We have always been fortunate to live in cities that have ethiopian stores and restaurants so have not needed to use it. I buy injera weekly, as it is only 10 for $5.00 in MN, when we lived in Detroit we were connected to the ET community and were given it. So I have never used the maker, but I'm sure on your yahoo ET adoption sites someone can vouch for or against it if you ask.
orangestacks

Postby tporters » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:01 pm

orangestacks wrote:I may have posted this before... the Ethiopians in the community we live(ed) in advised us to buy a lefse maker. They do sell electric injera makers, but they are much more expensive and the same thing (according to them). They said it is extremely difficult to make in a pan and use this instead. They sell them at Target http://www.target.com/Silverstone-Heritage-Lefse-Grill/dp/B00029OQ7W/ref=br_1_14?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&qid=1279145917&searchView=grid5&sr=1-14&node=1041760&searchRank=pmrank&searchPage=1&rh=&searchSize=30&id=Silverstone%20Heritage%20Lefse%20Grill&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin If you search you may find it cheaper somewhere else. We have always been fortunate to live in cities that have ethiopian stores and restaurants so have not needed to use it. I buy injera weekly, as it is only 10 for $5.00 in MN, when we lived in Detroit we were connected to the ET community and were given it. So I have never used the maker, but I'm sure on your yahoo ET adoption sites someone can vouch for or against it if you ask.

I guess I will buy some injera - assuming I can find a store/restaurant out here in the boonies - but I sure could have used the non-stick surface of this lefse maker today. I don't know what I would have done without an SOS pad! The funny thing about all this, is that all of the recipes I saw on-line made it sound like this wasn't a big deal to make, and I'm pretty good in the kitchen. Wish I had asked you guys first!
Sandy
DH Tom
DSs David, Mark, Ben
DD Lori
www.porteradoption.com
tporters

Postby Kar&Jer » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:41 pm

It is so strange, because our ET restaurant in Milwaukee makes their own and it seems EXACTLY like what we had in ET... I wonder if they have a magical method or maybe that Leff machine you guys posted about...
it will be my mission to stop in and ask them their secret! I havent tried to make it myself because I have heard many people have not had luck...
Kari
DH- Jeremy
DD-Alayna-Maria Kristine born 11/05, adopted from Colombia 6/07

DS - Evan Abenet Bekele born 9/6/09, in our arms 5/21/10
Kar&Jer

Postby arolfsen » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:11 pm

OK, I was at our local ET rest. the other day and I asked about their injera (that tastes JUST like it did in ET). She said they use Barley flour. I haven't tried making it that way yet...my Teff injera was a HUGE flop (literally). I just did the lazy thing and bought a lot of injera, brought it home and put it in my freezer :mrgreen:
Angie and Matt
Parents of:
D - 12
R - 10
C- 8
A- 7
A- 6

DTE 11/11/11
arolfsen

Postby tporters » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:35 pm

I located a new Ethiopian restaurant in Frederick (at least it's new to me - I didn't know it was there!), so I'll have to see if I can eat their injera. It will depend on what type(s) of flour they use since I can't eat gluten.

Thanks everyone!!!
Sandy
DH Tom
DSs David, Mark, Ben
DD Lori
www.porteradoption.com
tporters

Postby orangestacks » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:15 am

The restaurants have a huge flat fry-cook grill so it makes it easier to make and is not possible to make it like that at your house. (Well at least the ET restaurant we were given a chef tour of used that massive flat top grill).
orangestacks

Postby sporterfield » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:30 am

Hi,
I am new to this list and found you by searching for Injera. :) I am a Returned Peace Corp Volunteer who spent 28 months in Ethiopia a long time ago. However, I became hooked on the food and have been cooking it (or trying to) ever since. I have had terrible luck creating Injera on my own. I have purchased Teff from these folks in the past: http://www.teffco.com/ but pretty much have used it as additions to other breads I was baking up instead of Injera. I order my Injera from an Ethiopian lady who air freights it to me. It freezes very well and lasts indefinitely in the freezer. I have made my own Ethiopian butter(Kibe) and red pepper paste(Berbere) but I like my friend's versions so I buy those from her as well. Finally, I found this video on how to make it and do they ever make it look easy!! http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... ing-injera

They seem get "starter" from friends and relatives and I think that is the key..I think. Perhaps your local Ethiopian Restaurant might help out?

Best
Scott
sporterfield

Postby tporters » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:28 pm

For some reason, the video stops at 4 seconds! Argh! I'll see if my tech-saavy husband can get it to work. I did read one recipe that said to use quick rising yeast in the first batch and then save a bit from that batch to use for the next batch (instead of using the yeast), etc. So, it does sound like that might be the key. Plus, it looks like they're using a special injera cooker. Now that I can't afford, but I might give it one more try with the quick rising yeast. Apparently, you don't have to let the batter ferment for 2-3 days doing it this way, which would cut out one of the steps I was concerned I was doing wrong somehow.

Thanks Scott!
Sandy
DH Tom
DSs David, Mark, Ben
DD Lori
www.porteradoption.com
tporters

Postby sporterfield » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:25 pm

Hello again,

This is what I have heard Ethiopians in the states use to cook Injera. http://www.niatproducts.com/products_information.htm

S
sporterfield

Postby Jilly » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:00 pm

I made injera tonight for dinner using the wheat flour, white flour, and club soda recipe - it turned out half way decent!
(MommyOf3ToBe)
Image Image Image
Jilly

Postby tporters » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:05 pm

MommyOf3ToBe wrote:I made injera tonight for dinner using the wheat flour, white flour, and club soda recipe - it turned out half way decent!

Is this like the one you used: http://www.food.com/recipe/Injera-140763 ? My problem is I can't eat any gluten, so I'd have to use teff flour or some other safe flour. But I like the idea someone posted on this recipe site about mixing this in a blender and then pouring it from the blender into the frying pan. The recipe also tells you to pour from the outside in (like the video showed - Scott, if you're still reading, I was able to watch it).
Sandy
DH Tom
DSs David, Mark, Ben
DD Lori
www.porteradoption.com
tporters

Next

Return to Ethiopia Adoption